Arkansas Peace Week: Make Peace our “Natural” State!
September 19-26, 2021
Our Mission: Arkansas Peace Week is a program of activities with a mission to educate and promote peacemaking in our society and raise awareness of organizations working to build a lasting peace in Arkansas.
Who We Are: Arkansas Peace Week is conducted by a coalition of local, national and international organizations, faith groups and individuals, with a mission to promote peace and justice. Arkansas Peace Week is planned in coordination with the nationwide Campaign Non-Violence Week of Actions.
Why We Do It: Arkansas Peace Week celebrates non-violence as a means to instill justice, build stronger communities, alleviate poverty, promote ecological stewardship, end war, eliminate the scourge of violence in our society, while seeking respect, inclusion and fair treatment of all people. The lessons learned and relationships formed during Arkansas Peace Week create a foundation for sustainable peace in our society throughout the year.
What We Do: During the third week of September, in observance of the United Nations International Day of Peace, Arkansas Peace Week includes numerous events hosted by dozens of organizations throughout the state. These events feature education, service, dialogue and outreach activities promoting our mission. We invite all like-minded groups and organizations to plan an event during Arkansas Peace Week.
The 2021 theme for the International Day of Peace is “Recovering better for an equitable and sustainable world”. We invite you to join the efforts of the United Nations family as we focus on recovering better for a more equitable and peaceful world. Celebrate peace by standing up against acts of hate online and offline, and by spreading compassion, kindness, and hope in the face of the pandemic, and as we recover.
Feature events include:
- Peace Across Faiths Interfaith Service and Picnic – Sept. 19: Celebrate peace from different faiths and non-faith perspectives as we enjoy a meal and make new friends.
- Peace Week Summit – Sept. 25 – Annual event for teens and young adults as we commemorate this year’s theme: Recovering better for an equitable and sustainable world.
- ARKANSAS PEACE FEST – Sept 26 – Family friendly event with fun for all ages. Lessons for youth and adults to take concrete steps to counter the violence and injustice.
- Peace Week in our Schools – A program to help schools and youth organizations take concrete steps to counter the threat of violence in our society.
- Peace Week Mural – Murals on 7th Street, sending a message of inclusion and peace
Please visit our website www.arkansaspeaceweek.com or Facebook Group www.facebook.com/groups/ArPeaceWeek/ for the latest information. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Bob Estes at 501-666-3784 with questions.