Each year Arkansas Peace Week includes numerous events, hosted by dozens of organizations throughout our state. These events featured education, service and outreach activities promoting peacemaking, non-violence, social justice, ecological stewardship, and community building.
The 2022 theme for the International Day of Peace is “End racism. Build peace.” We all have a role to play in fostering peace. And tackling racism is a crucial way to contribute. We invite you to join the efforts of the United Nations as we work towards a world free of racism and racial discrimination. A world where compassion and empathy overcome suspicion and hatred. A world that we can truly be proud of. Consider hosting a peace related event or include peace related curriculum in your programs during Arkansas Peace Week.
Here are some ideas:
- Faith Activities: Encourage your church, synagogue, or mosque to incorporate messages of peace and justice in their education and worship plans.
- Vigils: Host a vigil promoting peace or remember those touched by violence.
- Business: Plan an open house or special event. Plan a Peace Week Happy Hour or other activity. Offer a special menu or discounts.
- Public Dialogue: Schedule a speaker or panel discussion about peace and justice.
- Libraries, Community Centers and Parks: Incorporate exhibits, activities and education events exploring the history of social justice and peacemaking.
- Film Screening: Share your favorite peace-inspiring film or make your own film.
- Service Projects: Plan an activity that helps your community realize broader justice, betters the environment or improves opportunity for others.
- School and Youth Activities: Incorporate lesson plans and student activities that teach about building peace and justice.
- Race Relations: Host an event to promote better understanding of race relations and discrimination.
- Other Ideas: How about a peace walk or march? A peace garden? A lemonade stand for peace? A free day of yoga for peace? An art project? Write an editorial or letter to elected official? A music composition? An event promoting ecology?
These could be activities that you are already doing or new events planned for the Arkansas Peace Week. Events and activities will be promoted in a Peace Week calendar of events.